Monday 7 November 2016

Magazine Textual Analysis

Besides producing the trailer, I will also make a magazine cover for my film. In order for it to be appealing, I have conducted some research into three different and existing film magazine layouts and conventions.  These include: Empire, Total Film and Sight & Sound.



Magazine textual analysis from Dom1999

How could these film magazines impact my own work?

In terms of layout, the magazine that stood out to me was "Total Film" because of the unusual and unique organisation of font and especially cover lines. The magazine looks busy and it features a lot of visuals which brings in audience from various fan bases. The magazine clearly states what type of content it will feature whilst making the design organised and eye-catching.  Every "Total Film" magazine seems to have 'exclusive content' which suggests that it is a good value for money. Therefore, in my magazine, I might feature something exclusive or such as free promotional posters, concert tickets or an interesting story. Based on this magazine, I might also use these types of cover lines as it is is visually appealing. Like the "Empire" magazine, I will place my main image above the Masthead as it seems effective and visually intriguing. This technique will make the character pop out. Making the masthead relevant to the genre similar to "Sight & Sound and Total Film" will provide me with more audience because it is clear what the magazine will contain. 

Unfortunately, since my budget is limited, I will not use well known actors in my poster. This means that there will not be any star appeal. In order to capture as much attention as possible, I will attempt to make the main image as interesting as possible and feature the films and casts name on my main sell line as a brand new film that will make the audience curious and increase the chances of this magazine being bought. For instance, I will make sure the image relates to the film genre and the target audience by using a dark colour palette and possibly some props. 


No comments:

Post a Comment