Tuesday 5 July 2016

Chosen Genre

Philosophical Thriller

I've researched sub genres from Paranoid Fiction and I've decided to focus on the philosophical side of the Paranoid Genre. I've decided to make something unique and compelling - a hybrid genre. I am planning to make it slightly frightening, depressing and thrilling.

Plot: 
I will be focusing on telling a story through protagonist's mind, which is usually seen in Paranoid Fiction genres meaning that I will be distorting reality using 'internal' forces (such as the characters mind), this means that I will be focusing on mental illness. My idea is to have a main character suffering from mental illness such as PPD (paranoid personality disorder), Anxiety, Schizophrenia or PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder). I am mostly heading towards Schizophrenia because I could use interesting sound effects of voices in my trailer as hearing voices is one of the symptoms of having this mental illness following by hallucinations and changes in behavior. This could mean that the 'voices' demand unethical actions to the character, the protagonist could resist at first but the character is consumed by hallucinations resulting in insanity. People do not understand/ care for the protagonist causing her to have crippling loneliness which results in listening to the demanding dark voices. At the start of the trailer, the main character will look like an ordinary person relaxing while the narrator could say some philosophical things and the trailer could finish destructively showing what the main character experiences.

Character:
In this particular trailer I will be mostly focusing on one character - which is the protagonist making almost immediate connection with the viewers with few shots of secondary characters. At this moment, I also have an idea to feature a distorted character in the trailer to create suspense, I could get a 'distorted' character by getting a latex mask - they tend to look realistic if I would get a right one. I am planning to have a female (preferably fragile and small) as a main character to show that she might look harmless but she isn't.

Props:
I want my main character to have casual clothing, preferably a simple dress to contribute to the 'harmless' assumption. I could use a see-through peel off mask, broken mirror, red ink and water and a scary latex mask.

Locations:
For the beginning of the trailer I would like to use a peaceful place such as a field (possibly with flowers) which could also be used to film a speed up of the sky. After the 'peaceful' part, an abandoned building would be a great place to film to show repression, loneliness (as it's abandoned), I want this trailer to look quite abstract. I could use any depressing looking locations.

Cinematography and editing:
I will be using royalty free calm music for the start of the trailer, for sound effects I could use an existing  sound effect (the voices). Additionally, most of the trailer is going to be fast paced meaning I would need to tell a story in short cuts, therefore I could do an extreme close up of protagonist and a keyhole and stop motions (head tilts). Some parts of the trailer will have text featuring the name of the film and more. I also want to do some closed framing in some parts of the trailer.

Effects:
I will be using a software to alter the colors of the scene to make the mood slightly more blue, unsaturated and dark. I will be placing audio on top of existing video clip for narrations and music. Additionally, I will make some effects for the text that will feature the name of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment