Tuesday 28 March 2017

Question 3

'What have you learnt from your audience feedback?'


My Audience Demograph - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires;


 SURVEY: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3CZS828


Audience feedback is essential for a successful product. It is important because it allows me to find out whether the product was as I predicted or it was different. By gathering data, I can find out about my audience for this particular film and this information could be used for future similar products as target audience to predict the success of the future product. Not to mention, using the audience feedback gives the product more opportunities to improve and become more appealing to the fans. There are various methods to obtain audience feedback. These include:
  •  'One on One' Interviews: collecting a large amount of data using interviews costs more money and time, however the feedback is more detailed resulting in a more open ended response. 
  • Comments: As we live in the modern age of the Internet, trailers can obtain a lot of feedback from the comment section on popular video platforms such as 'YouTube' and 'Facebook'. Not to mention, using a video platform can reach a lot of audience increasing the profit of the product as the clips can generate millions of views. Additionally, uploading a clip on youtube advertises the product and the producer could receive additional money for adds placed before the video from the social network.
  • Questionnaires: Internet surveys are a popular tool to evaluate a product. Many organizations obtain a large about of audience feedback. The reason why internet questionnaires are popular is because the data is automatically shown after a person fills out the questionnaire. Moreover, producing an internet questionnaire is easy to make, cheap and/or free resulting in no money or time wasted. Online tests, for example, are useful because the audience are anonymous which means they are more likely give an honest answer.
  • Test Screenings: The majority of produced film products 'test screen' before making their film available for the majority of the public. This means that a preview of the film is shown to a selection of people to record their reactions and feedback. The feedback is then analysed and edited according to the suggestions/complaints. However, test screenings sample a small amount of audience meaning that more than one platform of feedback is needed to obtain accurate results. 
  • Questions & Answers: These usually apply in film conventions and film festivals, a place where people with the same interest of films gather. The viewers could ask questions and obtain answers from the producers in these particular places.

I created an online questionnaire made up from 10 distinct questions in order to gather information for my trailer using a well known website called the 'SurveyMonkey'. The reason being is because it is free easy to spread around through social media, gather a larger amount of people and gathers information through graphs instantaneously. The answers are more likely going to turn out honest because the questionnaire reserves the anonymity of the person answering the questions. I will be sampling at least 10 people for my questionnaire. 




Results


Question 1: The majority of my audience is aged from 18 to 24 years old. This means that my prediction was not wrong as I thought that the majority of my audience will be young adults. Additionally, it turns out that some of my audience are older, there are more 45 to 54 year old audience than there are 25 to 34. This means that the psychological genre appeals also to an older audience which confirms the results from the target audience of films such as Jacob's Ladder on the 'YouGov' website. This suggests that the plot is clearly psychological and can be appealing to a more mature audience. What is interesting, is that all of my mature audience are male, whilst most audience that are in the 18 to 24 years category are female, this might be because the main character is also a young female, which might be relatable to other women of that age group influencing them to watch the film/ trailer. 

 Question 2: As I thought, my audience turned out equally male and female. This suggests that my advertising appealed to both genders. This is a good thing because I can gain more audience by appealing to a larger group of people instead of limiting myself to a specific gender. 


Question 3: 70% of people liked the soundtrack the most, which makes sense as it took up most of my time and effort, it also fitted nicely with the visuals (such as the piano scene). The second most liked things about the trailer is the plot and the visuals meaning that my cinematography and narrative work was not bad. After that, people liked the character and the genre. The 'other' option had a response of: "Love the 1960's feel at the start "hammer house" effect." 


Question 4: Thankfully, most people didn't think there was anything unlikable about the trailer, the other respondents that stated "yes" said "When the main character says "the voices", I think it cuts off slightly too soon." I agree with this statement, that scene caused me some difficulties because of the camera errors as it kept turning off before I wanted to finish the scene. Another person says that "Basic story line was not understandable"  I could've made some things more obvious in my trailer if I had thought of the audience more. 

Question 5: However, most people did understand the plot perfectly or understood most things. I did not want to give away everything in terms of story in my trailer as it wouldn't make the film desirable to watch. To improve the understanding of the plot, I could've included more dialogue, maybe scattered throughout the trailer, since I did not include a scene with the 'therapist' as I intended in the beginning as that would mean obtaining another cast member and planning another shoot which would be time consuming whilst trying to meet the deadline.

Question 6: Luckily, most people thought that the monster was scary, and no one said that the monster wasn't scary, this means that the prop was used successfully making the trailer more interesting. This also suggests that the quality of the mask was quite good as it appears realistic, as if it is a real person with his face peeled off.

Question 7: My poster appears to be successful as most people agree that they would be more influenced to watch the trailer if they saw the "Mortal Harrowing" poster in a public area. This suggest that the poster itself tells some of the story making it more intriguing. 
Question 8: Just as my poster, the magazine turned out to be successful as well.  Out of 10 people questioned, 0% answered "No".  This means that most people will consider reading a story about "The Mortal Harrowing" if they saw it on a front cover of a film magazine.





Question 9: 8 out of 10 people thought that the magazine cover and the film poster looked similar. This confirms that my products appear to be done for the same marketing campaign - which is the trailer. When I questioned what they liked about both of these products (magazine and poster) people replied with different opinions. The most common thing that was liked about these products was the "Colour Scheme" as stated, it was "Consistent".  The most positive comment was "They have good synergy, especially in terms of colour scheme, so you can tell they're from the same campaign. The main across' glare into the camera grabs the readers attention"This comment was exactly what I wanted my product to show, the technical skills that helped me produce a colour palette and other synergy. Another positive comment states "The main images were consistent (same face for the campaign) and the actress looks attractive, haunting and intriguing. I also like the professional layout and smooth graphics. The tagline and articles are intriguing" which further indicates that my technical skills in Photoshop produced a successful outcome.  However, there is a comment that isn't so positive stating "Didn't like the second, too processed. The first would be easy to use on both advertising, DVD/BRD cover and book covers"  this means that I could make the actress appear more natural (without the bright eye glow) to avoid a 'too processed' look. 

Facebook:



I've also obtained some feedback from Facebook by sending the link of "The Mortal Harrowing" trailer that is located in YouTube to private messages. The feedback was positive and got shared throughout friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment